CLICK ME!!! FOOTLOCKER!!! 20% OFF NO MINIMUM

Footlocker.com

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Interview with the one and only V aka VulkantheKrusader

I am working on a paper on the sneaker culture for my sociology class that analysis youth cultures. Not much has been done in this arena and in a small way I'm trying to contribute to it. To start off I am conducting interviews with fellow collectors. This interview is with one of my friends and a real down and chill dude, V aka VulkantheKrusader. Thanks V!

1. Where are you from? How old are you and when did you start collecting sneakers?
I was born in Managua Nicaragua during the war I made it out to Los Angeles about 1985 to meet my parents who had left me to my grandmother. I spent my time in south central and El Monte in the outskirts of LA around 1995 I moved to Miami due to gang violence and settled down in Miami. I’m 26 and I started collecting around 1994.

2.What was the first shoe as a kid that got you into sneakers?
the first ever shoe I noticed was Air Jordan VI black infrareds when my uncle took me to the finals game when I was a kid. I didn’t like Mike he made Magic look human so I hated him but his shoes were so evil I loved it...sorta like Darth Vader’s shoes.

3. What do sneakers symbolize in your life?
They are an extension of my soul on the real, they represent my lifestyle. A way of thinking and a freedom to me as the world itself is business like , when I put on a pair of kicks they make me feel like I am living my life the way I want to. Also they are heirlooms one day I hope my kid says "these were my dads he wore them this day" because shoes are memories everyday are moments in your mind you keep and what shoes you wore while making these moments possible.

4. How is the current state of our culture in terms of the people?
So as far as people there has been great separation from what people call us "sneakerheads" well I am one if you can label someone that. The fact is some people think they are better than others based on what is on your feet and what you own. That was never the point of this! its what you like to wear and everything back then was a general release meaning it was at most store and easy to buy and everything went on sale back then. I don’t know how many people nowadays buy a shoe based on the fact it is hard to get or to make other people feel bad about themselves. I don’t play that sure I got things no one else has and some things others have to tell you the truth It doesn’t matter I just love what I have it doesn’t matter what it is I rock it and wear it with pride. Its not what you own its how you rock it...allot of pompous muthafuckaz walk around with a god complex in this world why do we need more in the Sneaker world?

The product?
well the industry has changed where Artist are now affiliated and companies make shoes more attractive to the consumer. Shoes made in less quality to provide something for the hardcore collector who devotes his dollars to these type of sneakers. Also they have provided a re seller market which is something that is wack about this thing but regardless part of it. The shoes have gotten more creative and sold better for the most part now you dont see Jays go on sale you see things labeled these tags of exclusives get eaten up quicker by us. So from a product stand point they are on point with everything they have done and advancements in tech in basketball shoes has been monumental taking to those extremes we haven’t seen in a long time.

5. Are you part of any online sneaker community?
Issforums.com, niketalk.com, thesyndication.com, kb24.com forums

6. What is your favorite all time sneaker ever and Why?
Air Jordan XI with the black patent was the first shoe from the Jordan line I bought for myself and started my addiction to kicks. I bought for 89.99 on sale at footlocker and people made fun of my calling them tuxedo dancing shoes on my basketball team. Those shoes just the look of them made me feel like lupe said "superstar" naw mean. I love the mesh and then the patent made them look so out of the ordinary the clear sole was just bonkers and also the first shoe that had a carbon fiber plate in them....i just died when I had them on.

7. Can you name the top three moments in Sneaker culture from yourstand point?
c. The year of 2001 that year made this hype and culture explode into the money maker it is for many people today.

b.Tinker Hatfield is that man who made the shoes memorable for us and created the nostalgia of making shoes that were different from the other shoes that didn’t really give us that cutting edge feeling.

a.The Internet....wow without this thing we could not connect to people who can get us what we want and how to get it...

8. You are one of the best known sneaker connoisseur on the forums and one of the most informed. Was this as easy as people think it is?
hell naw...It took years for me to get into the relationships with the people. I just study shoes and know my history all other subjects in life have storytellers and historians that will tell you what happened and when, how, why and who. I just lived this in the best era the golden age of the kicks era like Mid 1990's hip hop was the illest shit ever...I am here and we got our own legends in this game. I’m not close at all to one I consider myself average joe who just knows everything about everything but even from that stand point I still got a lot to learn from older cats and more knowledgeable people who I look up to myself. In the end I just want people to know I love this culture and the people in it.

9. What makes you a real collector in this culture?
a Real collector is someone who buys out of love that’s it....

10. What is the rarest shoe you own? Which is your most treasured and why?
Rarest/Treasured: Stash/Nort Air Zoom Kobe 1, Its just the fact that jared liner did such a superb job at making this shoe at first I thought it was all stash but Josh let me know at sneakerpimps that jared really took the time and effort on it. I just love the varsity wool the purple swoosh the letters on the side of them the bottom is the sickest part....man oh man...Love them.

11. What message do you have for the sneaker community?
Don’t caught in the hype, If you new be humble! Learn from your elders live your life by your rules and no one else’s don’t let no one dictate what you like doing. There is no such ting as luck only hard work can get you what you want and believe that there is love for things and real people who make it happen.

Thanks again V!

No comments: